Disgust and Wonder

The idea of litter is the combination between human waste and nature. It’s the most basic and normalized form of pollution. The area I live in is on a road that many people take to get into town. In the ditches and creeks under and beside this road are heaps of trash. Mostly drink containers or food wrappers. I never understood the reason why people litter. For those that drink and drive it makes a lot of sense to dump your containers while driving. Driving while inebriated is less of an offense than drinking while driving. But for other forms of waste: candy wrappers, fast-food cups, or medicine boxes, why do we litter? It’s a mindless mingling of ourselves and nature.

    My goal with this series is to capture litter as what it is. The mixture between disgust and wonder. To do this, I went on several walks these past few weeks. During this time I brought along a camera and took pictures of trash I found on the side of road. I attempted to capture the trash in a way that would emphasize nature's beauty while bringing attention to the litter inside of it. In post, I edited each picture to bring the viewer's focus into the center of the photos by dodging and burning the litter and grass.

  













And here's a version I made that's a gif playing all of the images together.



Comments